Monday 16 December 2013

By the way, here is what I have done so far


By the way, here is what I have done so far:

- Michel Thomas. My original start and nothing has benefited me more, especially actively)

- Colloquial Dutch. Have gone through slowly (no exercises) at least once. The grammar in the latter sections really turned me off though I did persist. I have forgotten most of it and should review. The problem is that I get frustrated like people who cannot get to grips with higher level mathematics (ironically, I am very good at maths!)

- watching American TV series with Dutch subs. I find this great for picking up every day dialogue/vocabulary. Things that a textbook or reading the newspaper wouldn't really give you.

- reading newspapers. I do this occasionally. I am better than I was, having gotten used to the vocabulary used there. But I still rely on a "dictionary" i.e. Google Translate.

- forum posting. I tried to post regularly on fok.nl. But it is not really my crowd and I feel stunted due to lack of ability to express myself without resorting to Google Translate.

- listening to Dutch spoken-word radio daily for 2 years. This has given me slow progress with listening comprehension and new vocabulary. I enjoy it a lot but my progress is reaching a limit, despite understanding most (but not all) of what I hear.

- watching Dutch TV. I cannot watch catch-up TV from here (my internet connection blocks video, plus they have recently started blocking non-Dutch from watching anyway) but I have a box set of the first 3 series of the only soap in Holland. It is quite boring at times but often fun at other times. I recently just received two more modern and dramatic series (cop show, thriller), I hope I can watch these over Christmas.

- Dutch movies. Hardly any of them. I have seen all the classic Rutger Hauer oldies!

- Anki. Did it for a while but never kept momentum. Probably because it barely registered any interest for me.

- Dutch music. Listened to several hip hop artists and know many of the lyrics off by heart now. Good for listening comprehension and some small amount of vocabulary but little else.

No comments:

Post a Comment